From:
Amy Cunningham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 May 2002 11:01:04 -0400
Shari,

I have two worksheets that may be of use to you.  The first is adapted from
a National Archives "Photograph Analysis Sheet."  I made this for a workshop
on exhibition techniques for local historical societies.  The second is from
a program we do here with middle school students exploring the different
types of historical evidence.  Best of luck!

Here's the first worksheet:

Part 1:  Read a Photograph
Adapted from the “Photograph Analysis Sheet” developed by the National
Archives and Records Administration.

Examine your photograph closely and then answer these questions as best you
can.

Observation:

Study the photograph for 2 minutes.  Form an overall impression of the
photograph and then examine the individual items.  Next, divide the photo
into quadrants and study each section to see what new details become
visible.

Use the chart below to list people, objects, and activities in the
photograph.

People
Objects (including buildings and landscape features)
Activities

What clues would you use to determine a date for this photograph?

Think about the vantage point of the photographer.  Where was s/he standing?

What kind of technology is featured in the photo? (power lines, cars,
carriages)

What questions does this photograph raise in your mind?

Where could you find answers to these questions?

Part 2
Read Between the Lines of a Photograph

Why did the photographer take this picture?

Is the scene dominated by people or nature?

What does this photograph tell us about the beliefs of the society it
features?  Their standards of living?  Their philosophies?  Their values?

What does this object tell you about people’s tastes and habits?

Now that you have carefully read this photograph, think of all the different
stories it could tell or ideas it could demonstrate.

***We also did a very basic photo analysis sheet for students who are role
playing as "researchers" in our "You be the Historian" program.  These
questions are pretty concrete and are specific to the photos, but might be
useful to you:

LOOK CAREFULLY AT THE TWO PHOTOGRAPHS.  ONE PHOTOGRAPH IS A PORTRAIT OF TWO
PEOPLE; THE OTHER IS A SCENE.  FOR EACH PHOTOGRAPH, ANSWER THE FOLLOWING
QUESTIONS:

PORTRAIT:
How old are the people?

Do you think they are related to each other?  Why or why not?

Were they wealthy?  Why or why not?

Why aren’t they smiling?

What else can you tell about these people from studying the photograph?

SCENE:
How many people can you see in this picture?  How many animals?

Describe the buildings.

What else do you see in the photograph?

Do you think the people knew they were having their picture taken?

What else can you find out about the picture and the people in it from
reading the writing on the back of the photograph?

Sorry for long message, hope this is useful!

Amy Cunningham
Director of Education
Vermont Historical Society
109 State Street