From:
Diane Gutenkauf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 13:47:18 -0400
Actually, rather than the Highway partol, though they may be nice, they're
not the keepers of standards for this sort of thing. You'd be better
served contacting an engineering firm that consults on this type of
construction project. Either that or talk to a landscape architect.

There are books of published standards on everything from bridge
hight clearance requirements to the minimum amount of space a tour
bus needs to complete a turn.

Since you are affiliated with a university, have you talked to people
in your engineering department or, if you have one, architecture
department?

They should have all the reference material you need. Call the university
library, perhaps that material is in their collections?

At our site, our landscape architects design using these standards and
they work closely with our consultant engineering firm to ensure our
new construction will accomodate our projected needs.

Diane Gutenkauf
Manager, Interpretation & Exhibits
The Morton Arboretum
Lisle IL

"A discordian is prohibited
from believing what she reads"
--Principia Discordia

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002 11:08:24 -0500, Carla Hildebrand
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I am preparing a proposal for renovating the front entryway to our site
and the question of bus clearance for the gates has come up.  Does anyone
have any information about how much width clearance do charter buses need
to turn into a site?  Has anyone had an experience with this situation?
Thanks for any ideas.