From:
Robert Lamb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Sep 1997 16:09:46 -0400
The Arena Chapel is in Padua, and I think it's ok.

The Basilica of Saint Francis of Assisi is in poorer condition.

All I know comes from a New York Times article of a few days ago...

The Cimabue frescoes are probably not going to be able to be repaired.
They were ceiling frescoes and came down when the roof fell in.

The Giotto (or School of Giotto) frescoes might be partially restorable,
and the lower church was not, by comparison, that badly damaged.

There used to be a feature on the web dealing with the Basilica at
www.infobyte.it.  Check under the virtual reality section.  I remember
seeing something there about a year and a half ago.

Robert Lamb