From:
judy dion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Apr 2000 14:53:34 EDT
Ross Weeks Jr. wrote:

>There is no logic, of course!  But there is no logic in storing >modern
>school books in expensive materials, either.  They are simply ephemera and
>most folks seem to take them to the landfill >rather than waste the storage
>space to begin with.  That was my >original point.
>Ross Weeks Jr.

It seems though, that you were missing the original point of the query.  The
question was about prolonging the life of the books, not whether they should
be kept at all.  It would seem that if someone made the effort to submit the
query in the first place, she deserves a reply that offers constructive
advice, not pessimism about the questionable value of the books.  I agree
with Mr. Hirsch and others who have replied.  Some objects being collected
today may not seem to have any great value, but such a qualification is
subjective depending on the timeframe and the interests of the collector.
While budgetary concerns always factor in, especially when an object has
inherent vice, that factor alone cannot determine whether an object is worth
keeping.

JLD