From:
"Kevin W. Tucker" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 1996 15:14:49 GMT
In the spirit, I relate this tale...

I received a telephone call from a gentleman who asked for some advice
regarding an old map that he wanted to preserve.  In a very serious tone he
informed me that he was concerned that it would be damaged further if he did
not take some action.  He then asked if having it laminated would be the most
appropriate course of action.

I calmly went through my 5-minute routine of "how to protect works on paper"
and strongly advised him against the copy-shop version of vinyl lamination,
informing him of the preservation issues involved.  He patiently listened to
my entire speech with only an occasional, "Oh, I see".

After I finished, he quickly replied, "But I still don't understand what good
that is going to do for my old fishing map of the lake!"

The forest for the trees on my part, perhaps?

Kevin