From:
"Fitzgerald, Rebecca" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 11:00:36 -0500
It doesn't really matter what we believe.  It's what the Chicago Tribune
believes, unfortunately.  I belong to another listserv for Archives, and
a member used to post brief excerpts from newspaper articles every week
as a public service.  These were just excerpts, mind you, not the whole
article.  He was informed in no uncertain terms that the Chicago paper
considered his postings a violation of copyright and if it continued the
paper would sue.  Now, maybe you are right, and maybe the courts would
eventually rule in your favor, but do you want to hire lawyers and spend
years fighting the Tribune in court?  Even if the initial ruling was in
your favor, the Tribune would appeal and appeal and appeal.  Newspapers
have gone to great lengths to seize and control all copyrights they can,
and they will fight fiercely to keep the interpretation of the copyright
law as narrow as possible.

On the Archives listserv, only the links to newspaper articles are now
given.

In America, Justice may be blind, but she can feel whose wallet is
heavier.

These opinions are my own, and not those of my employer.

Rebecca Fitzgerald, CA
Archivist & Director, Special Collections
Mt. St. Mary's Archives & Dept. of Special Collections
Mt. St. Mary's College & Seminary
Emmitsburg, MD 21727
301/447-5397
301/447-6868 (fax)