Date:
Sat, 1 Mar 1997 10:20:30 -0500

<< I'm not sure exactlyu what type of relationship betweenb architectural
 preservation and museums you're interested in.....  if you're talking
 about museums in historic structures, I've been through alot of that
 ( 5 years Park Service, 5 years Architect0...
 Most of the time, I'd say that either the building or the collection
 suffers in this type of relationship, what's good for the building is
 bad for the collection,  >>

This is more than a simplification.  Historic buildings and museums often go
hand in hand - curator's needs can be met as well as the preservationists.
 Much recent work points to the use of year long cycles in planning for
object care.  Objects appear to be able to do quite well in enviroments where
the temp and humidity change over a period of time.  Rapid fluctuation is the
culprit.  The New England Society for the Preservation of Antiquities has
done much work concerning this subject.

In our historic building we were able to effectively create numerous
galleries and storage rooms with suitable controls.

Greg Koos
McLean County Historical Society
Old Courthouse Museum
200 N. Main St.
Bloomington IL 61701  phone (309) 827-0428
http://www.dave-world.net/community/mchs