From:
"Burke, Laurence M. II" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Oct 2000 15:23:24 -0400
Christine,

It's possible that someone with more training/experience than I will tell
you something different (and keep in mind that I am NOT a trained
conservator), but this issue does stick in my mind from my intro to
conservation courses.

In a situation like yours, the historic homes are also collections
artifacts, and should be considered when setting temp/humidity levels.
Unless you've got a lot of money, and can afford to put a greenhouse or dome
over your homes, you're not going to be able to control the outside
temperature.  The ideal temperature/RH (relative humidity) for the small
artifacts inside may very well cause condensation inside the walls in summer
and/or winter, contributing to rot of those walls.  If your heating/AC
systems are causing condensation on the windows, then you have a problem
(it's an even bigger problem if you have double-pane windows).  You will
need to find a temp/RH that will minimize or eliminate the formation of
condensation in the building, while still providing a reasonable environment
for your artifacts/guests.  That said, a stable temperature and especially a
stable RH are _almost_ more important than what those temp/RH levels are.

I will now wait to see if this advice agrees with that of others on this
list.

Larry Burke
Historical Society of Western Pennsylvania