From:
"Hank T. Foreman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 1997 14:42:10 +0300
>David Robertson is the director of the Univ. of Oregon Museum of Art
>(phone 503-346-3027).  I hadn't heard that they had a capital campaign
>recently, but it could be.  The other institution you mentioned is not a
>name I recognize.  Maybe they meant the Center for the Arts at Yerba
>Buena Gardens in San Francisco (phone 415-978-2700), a relatively new
>building.
>
>I believe the current ACUMG News & Issues has some articles about
>building new campus museums, based on a conference last spring.  For info
>on ACUMG (Assn. of College & Univ. Museums & Galleries), call
>405-325-4712.  Two of the conference speakers were Sandra Vlock and Glenn
>Arbonies, architects who had worked most recently with Hamline Univ. on a
>new visual arts center and museum.  They emphasize that involving
>potential donors (as well as assorted campus representatives) in the
>building planning process has greatly facilitated fundraising efforts.
>They can be reached at 203-483-9900.
>
>You might want to also contact Mona Berg, director of Purdue Univ.
>Galleries (317-494-3058); I understand they are raising money for a new
>facility.
>
>I'm sure your college development office can advise you on capital
>campaign strategy.  What in particular were you wondering about?
>
>Ann Harlow, Director
>Hearst Art Gallery
>Saint Mary's College of California
>Moraga, CA 94575-5110
>510-631-4643/fax 510-376-5128

Thanks so much for this great information.  We do have a development
officer assigned to our program.  This type of project is a first for him,
and I was assigned to research designing a capital campaign for a
gallery/museum from the ground up.  We have to share him with several areas
(basically all of the arts...theatre, dance, music, visual arts, and a
major multi-disciplinary arts festival that consumes most of his time).  To
make our program a reality, we (non-deve. folk) are going to have to pull
the weight. This will be my first major campaign so I am asking for
information on all the basics right now.  What does the initial campaign
packet look like?  What is included?  Who designed it?  Also basic issues
like giving opportunities, committe makeup, timelines, $ breakdown per type
of giver.  Thank you for any assistance you might provide.

Hank T. Foreman, Acting Director
Catherine J. Smith Gallery
Appalachian State University