From:
Catherine Sterling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Apr 1996 08:00:18 -0700
I am the assistant registrar for a university art museum in Oregon, and I'm
writing in hopes of recieveing storage information.  I am working on a
project to re-house the museums small collection of sculpture. The majority
of UOMA's sculpture collection contains medium size (1-2 people can EASILY
handle) metal (aluminum, brass & bronze) artworks.  I have purchased open
metal shelving and am wondering if I should install carpet or some other
(inexpensive) material on the surface of shelves.  Has anyone tested carpets
for their abrasiveness?  Are there better materials?  In the past the museum
has used polyethlene foam to cover storage shelving.  What advice do you
have??  Thanks.