From:
Robin Le Van <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 09:30:49 -0600
Allison,
Beautifully stated. The whole concept of the public museum evolves from the
idea that we are all equal participants, with equal access. You may
understand the artists' unique chemical additions to his paint may have made
him "mad", I may be moved by the evocative narrative of a work, others may
see beauty in the artists' ability to capture the subtle nuance of the human
expression.
We spend years turning reaction into response (through education) and then
are alarmed when we encounter reaction. I loved hearing my young nephew
share his thought that Picasso must've looked through a broken glass to
paint (his cubist images). He is thinking about the work. We must remember
it is not our vision we are trying to impose but the inspiration of new and
differing perspectives.
Thank you, again, for reminding us of our mission.
Robin Le Van