Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2011 15:13:37 +1300
Welcome back to GLOBAL MUSEUM, your award-winning & free web compendium,
read weekly by 8,000 readers in more than 201 countries.

***   "I love reading Global Museum. I look forward to the articles every
week. The information keeps me informed about what is going on in the museum
community and urges me to explore museums and exhibits online that I may
have never known about. Thanks!"  - User Feedback   ***

The international headlines (FOR THE FULL STORY VISIT THE WEBZINE at this
address  http://www.globalmuseum.org  and click on the news links) in this
week's edition include:

**  King Tutankhamun Statues Missing as Intruders Break Into Egyptian Museum
They broke open 14 display cases in the museum's Late Period and Tutankhamun
exhibits, in search of gold; finding none, they shattered statues, including
one of the ancient goddess Isis, and smashed some of the museum's royal
mummies. See also ICOM Preliminary report on museums in Egypt

**  Paleontologist shown eating mammoth on microblog
A paleontologist has published a series of posts on his micorblog to record
the process of cooking and eating mammoth meat on February 12

**  Sotheby's accused of cover up over damaged Robert Cecil painting
Sotheby's, the auction house, has been accused of forging a document to
cover up the fact that it damaged a painting of the Jacobean spymaster
Robert Cecil, a senior aide to both James I and Elizabeth I

****  HAPPY TRAVELLERS - BEST FARES & DEALS FOR 2011! ****
MUSEUM-TRAVELLER.COM  -  Global Museum's Travel Service For Business and
Pleasure - the  leading provider of online museum travel, established in
1998.
40,000 in over 8,000 cities worldwide. Group Reservations. Interactive Map
with the world's top festivals and events.
CLICK HERE http://www.museum-traveller.com - Use IE browser - Airfares, Car
Rentals, Accommodation, Destination Guides, Condo's and  Cruises!  Provider
is a member of I.A.T.A.

**  Toronto museum investigating bee deaths
A museum in Toronto says it is trying to determine what killed 20,000
honeybees in just two days at its popular hands-on biodiversity gallery

**  Discovery Museum has 17th century blood on its hands
In 1644 the Earl of Leven led thousands of Scottish troops south of the
border, intent on capturing the city to secure lucrative coal and weapon
resources arriving from the continent for Parliament

**  Foot bone shows man's distant ancestor could walk
It shows that Lucy's kin had arches stiffening their feet like humans, as
opposed to apes, whose feet are flexible, for grasping tree branches

**  The Met's Plans for Virtual Expansion
Mr. Campbell viewed the museum's next frontier to be less physical than
philosophical and virtual: a change in the Met's tone and public face,
making it a more open and understandable museum, largely by thoroughly
rethinking the way it uses technology.

ARE YOU ONE OF THE 639?
Join the Global Museum Social Network - Meet & Make Friends, Share Photos &
Videos, Blog, Use the Forum, Join A Group.
Become one of our first 700 members -  639 have already met online.  Join
Today At  http://globalmuseum.ning.com

**  Egypt's museums and monuments are deserted
The country's priceless trove of antiquities has emerged mostly unscathed
from the unrest so far, but tourism, a pillar of the Egyptian economy, has
not

**  Here we go again with the Iowa Jackson Pollock sale
To remind the pols in Des Moines what's at stake, the nation's two most
prominent museum-professional associations got together Friday to holler
through a joint megaphone: Stop!

**  Culture under the microscope
Visceral, a month-long exhibition uses new technologies, tissue and neural
engineering to explore the question "what is life?" People may be put off by
some of the 15 works, some of which use human tissue as book covers or
retinal cells to project film

**  No 'Moby-Dick': A Real Captain, Twice Doomed
Unlike the tale of Ahab and Ishmael, however, Pollard's story didn't end
there: After the Essex sank, Pollard and his crew floated through the
Pacific for three months, a journey punctuated by death, starvation, madness
and, in the end, cannibalism

TWEET TWEET - Follow Us On Twitter!   http://www.twitter.com/globalmuseum
31,185 News Tweets, 1,428 Followers worldwide and growing fast

**  Guitar: The Instrument That Rocked The World
From the ancient Greek cithara to the Mesopotamian oud to the six-string
electric, the guitar has evolved into one of the most popular - and
loudest - instruments in the world

**  NYC museum giving antiquities to Costa Rica
The Brooklyn Museum is preparing to give about 5,000 pre-Columbian artifacts
in its collection to Costa Rica as part of a housekeeping move to trim its
vast holdings

**  Headless Egyptian Mummy Mystery Thickens
The mummies, who lost their heads as yet another casualty of Egypt's
political chaos, are unknown ancient Egyptians and have become the symbol of
the world's concern for ancient Egyptian cultural heritage

**  Rossellini films in Natural History Museum sex exhibition
A film starring actress and model Isabella Rossellini as a randy duck is
part of a London exhibition explaining the science behind sex

Become a FAN -  Join 683 of  us on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Global-Museum/129179522574?

**  In Casablanca, only Jewish museum in Arab world
A white building tucked into a residential neighbourhood of this
cosmopolitan city holds a treasure trove few here know about: the Arab
region's only Jewish museum

**  Edinburgh landmark museum to re-open after £46m refit
Staff have been installing 8,000 objects into 16 new galleries in the
original part of the landmark building

**  LA museum, Getty get Mapplethorpe art, archives
The acquisition consists of more than 2,000 works by Mapplethorpe, including
several 20-by-24 inch Polaroid photos, works of art from his contemporaries
and personal correspondence

**  Fossil find puts 'Lucy' story on firm footing
New fossil evidence seems to confirm that a key ancestor of ours could walk
upright consistently - one of the major advances in human evolution

The Global Museum Daily Tweet. Global Museum's new daily newspaper powered
by your museum tweets - Enjoy! http://paper.li/globalmuseum/1288898965

**  Prehistoric Cemetery Reveals Man and Fox Were Pals
Before dog was man's best friend, we might have kept foxes as pets, even
bringing them with us into our graves, scientists now say

**  Old Questions, New Answers: quality criteria for museum education
XI UMAC Annual MeetiICOM CECA Annual COonference 2011

**  Care and Identification of Photographs
April 11-14, 2011. This workshop will be hosted by the Huntington Library,
Art Collections, and Botanical Gardens (San Marino, CA)

All this and more for you at Global Museum - See the latest museum JOBS,
BOOKSHOP, RESOURCES, PODCASTS, HOT JOB TIPS, great people posting their
RESUMES, FORUM, Cheap and reliable WORLD TRAVEL, the GM Social Network,
Museum Online Document Store, Podcasts, Museum Accredited Courses, Products
& Services.

http://www.globalmuseum.org     First published on the Web in 1998 and going
strong!

BLOG READERS  & MUSEUM WEB SITES - Use our  RSS news feed on your site, from
this address: http://www4.wave.co.nz/~jollyroger/GM2/gm.xml