From:
LeeAnn Lands <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 2004 10:23:17 -0500
Colleagues:

I am working on a syllabus for a course on museums and historic sites in
civic life, which will look at how museums and other cultural sites use
history/humanities to inform audiences of or facilitate dialogue about
contemporary culture and public policy.  I have the following works, but
am looking for more.  I'm seeking work that discusses _why_ we would
want to facilitate such dialogue, pieces examining _how_ sites do this,
and other examinations of successes and failures.  Do you have a
favorite piece to suggest?

Note that this is an undergraduate course that will draw a variety of
majors.

Thanks!

LeeAnn Lands

READINGS:
American Association of Museums.  Mastering Civic Engagement: A
Challenge to Museums.  Washington, D.C.: American Association of
Museums, 2002.

Matarasso, Francois.  Use or Ornament?  The Social Impact of
Participation in the Arts.  Comedia, 1997.

Sandell, Richard, ed..  Museums, Society, Inequality.  New York:
Routledge, 2002.

Karp, Ivan.  Museums and Communities: The Politics of Public Culture.
Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution, 1992.

Special Issue: Civic Engagement at Sites of Conscience. The George
Wright Forum 19 (2002).

Gates, Christopher T.  "Forum: Democracy and the Civic Museum."  Museum
News (May/June 2001), 47-55.

Thelan, David.  "Learning Community: Lessons in Co-Creating the Civic
Museum."  Museum News (May/June 2001).

OTHER SOURCES:
International Coalition of Museums Sites of
Sites of Conscience (and their member institutions)

LeeAnn B. Lands, Ph.D.
Asst Professor of History
Coordinator, Public History Program
Dept of History & Philosophy