Date:
Mon, 24 Feb 1997 08:43:37 -0700
I've been an intern, and in my current job, I have had a few interns work
for me, and I think a written agreement can be really useful. If the
intern/volunteer is working for college credit, it helps define the
parameters of their work, and helps them document what they've done when
they try to get credit for their work. Even if the intern/volunteer isn't
getting college credit, a written agreement can help both the volunteer and
the supervisor think about how the volunteer job should be structured, how
much responsibility the volunteer should have, and what kinds of projects
the volunteer finds most interesting. It's easy to end up burying a
volunteer with tons of filing or hours of typing rolodex cards. When
there's a written agreement, it reminds me as the supervisor to give the
volunteer good projects that will help the volunteer build skills and gain
experience.

Margaret Pezalla