From:
Bayla Singer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jul 1994 22:34:19 -0400
Eric,

I'm not sure what your mailer looks like, or acts like, but it probably
functions like this: when you hit the 'reply' command/key, the program
goes to the header line which says Reply-to: and gives the list address.
Then the program sends the reply to the list.

If you want to send something to an individual (such as this letter, going
only to you), you need to manually copy out that individual's email
address, and use some 'mail' command rather than the 'reply' command.

Some folks think, as I used to about my mailer 'elm', that it strips out
the email address from the headers.  Actually, tho an impressive and
mostly irrelevant amount of header-lines is included in messages I get,
there are *even more* which could be revealed: in my case, I hit the 'h'
key, which gives -all- the headers -- and behold! the email address of the
particular individual sender.  The 'mail' command leaves enough of the
original message up there onscreen so I can transcribe accurately.

On second thought, I'm going to amend the cc: line so this goes to the
list, too -- it may be of general interest.

--bayla