From:
Art Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jun 2005 08:53:54 -0600
There still seems to be a lot of confusion about what science can and
cannot do. Asking it to investigate the metaphysical (unless claims are
made about the nature of the physical universe, and then limited to
those claims) is asking it to do something it's not equipped to do. It's
a tool that only works with the physcial universe because of the very
limitations that makes it very good in that role (one of these
limitations being that it cannot invoke the supernatural).  Asking it to
study the metaphysical is much the same as asking religion to explicate
the physical world--something religion has failed in miserably because
that's not something it's designed nor equipped to do.

If at some time ID delivers testible hypotheses, I can assure you that
scientists will start taking it seriously as other than a way to sneak
religion into schools under the disguise of science.

If indeed aliens were involved in constructing complex features of life,
there still lies the question as to how do we recognize this. However,
there are scientific possibilities here. If such aliens were present on
earth, they may have left signs that someday may be uncovered. Perhaps
aliens have left communications somewhere in the universe that someday
we may encounter. If we eventually find other beings on other planets
that share our DNA code, etc., this would indicate a common cause. There
probably are other possibilities. But current evidence strongly
indicates that natural processes are sufficient to explain life on earth
as we know it. If, and only if, someone can come up with testible
hypotheses to the contrary will ID be accepted as worthy of scientific
investigation.

Cheers,

Art Harris

Laboratory for Environmental Biology, Centennial Museum
University of Texas at El Paso, El Paso, TX  79968-0915
[log in to unmask]   http://museum.utep.edu/
http://museum.utep.edu/chih/chihdes.htm