From:
Candace Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 13:49:50 -0400
I understand the pros of skateboarding.  It's interesting that the
discussion would take this particular turn, because a coworker of mine is
currently having discipline problems with her son who is into X games,
skateboarding and the like.  She is our educator and pretty informed on
current issues of parenting, education, and the like.  During our
converstion she mentioned that studies have been done about X Game culture
and behavior in adolescents (can't quote chapter and verse, but I can see if
she can find it), and the possible negative impact it has in their
relationships with authority figures. Now I am not saying that is what this
boy of hers is dealing with, but suffice it to say that she believes it
isn't helping.
And no, I know of no cases where someone has sued for a skateboarding
accident on their property but I also never thought I'd be in a traumatic
car accident and I was, 8 months ago.  And frankly, none of use know whether
the kids aren't doing drugs, drinking, or having sex.  I was a good kid and
did many things I shouldn't have...as did all of my friends.  And I must say
I agree with Audra.  Skateboarding in and of itself is certainly not a
crime.  Willful destruction of property, particularly when the organizations
have little recourse and the kids know it(we can't afford around the clock
guards, as can any organizations in our community)is a crime.  As a matter
of fact, I would encourage my rather plump 9 year old to try it, under the
right circumstances, with respect for other people and their property.  I
think parents have to lay those ground rules and expectations, and if they
aren't met, no drivers license until you're 18 (the next big thing they'll
want!) I'm not stuffy, boring or a stick in the mud.  I think of all things
we need in this country, now more than ever, is good citzenship (humming God
Bless America here).  Skateboarding definitely can be enjoyed by good
citizens.  I don't think that's asking too much.
Candace Perry