From:
Marc A Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2008 14:07:44 -0500
I agree with Rick.  Interior plexi or equivalent can be virtually
undetectable if installed with the same filtering capacity on all windows in
the room.  It hasn't been mentioned (I believe) that a secondary benefit is
a contribution to stabilizing the environment, both the RH and T.  Also,
this should lead to energy savings, so it is a triple benefit.  The cost
also is relatively low, at least for materials.  Another alternative is
mylar roll-down shades, either spring roller or chain drive.  They have
small gaps at their sides, so are a bit more visible.  They also do not
contribute as much to stabilizing the environment or saving energy.  But
they are easy to install with only 2-4 screws usually.

Regardless of alternative, the real-world evaluation of colors that I have
been involved with for various client museums concurs with Rick in the
bronze color preference.  In some installations, the rooms with the bronze
light protection actually looked brighter (they weren't actually) than
without light control - the same effect you get when putting on bronze sun
glasses.

Marc

American Conservation Consortium, Ltd.
     4 Rockville Road
     Broad Brook, CT 06016
     www.conservator.com
     860-386-6058

*Collections Preservation Consultation
*Conservation Assessments & Surveys
*Environmental Monitoring & Low-Tech Control
*Moisture Management Solutions
*Collections in Historic Structures
*Collections Care Grant Preparation
*Conservation Treatment of:
     Furniture
     Painted Wood
     Horse-Drawn Vehicles
     Architectural Interiors

Marc A. Williams, President
     MS in Art Conservation, Winterthur Museum Program
     Former Chief Wooden Object Conservator, Smithsonian Institution
     Fellow, American Institute for Conservation (AIC)