From:
Greg Hansel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 11:59:32 -0600
Greetings all!

I have some questions regarding the German made Elastolin toy soldiers of the
1933-1943 period.  These soldiers are made of "Masse" or composition and are
about 7.5cm tall, and very acurately painted to represent the German armed
forces of the period.  The Equipemnt and uniforms rapidly change reflexive to
the development of the rise of the Nazi state.  The prominent political figures
were also produced incredible detail.

I am designing a virtual exhibit of nice collection of these figurines that
mostly appear to date to the earlier 1933-1936/37 period.  I am working on the
idea that the The toys were very representive of the idealistic times and
changes of Germany at this time.  I think it is possible or probable to to make
some fair asumptions connecting the pride in one's nation and its
military/political party.  I have been approaching the project from the veiw of
the German youth groups, camps and rallies of the times and the toys and
messages they were constantly presented with.

I am looking for other possible ideas, has anyone ever done anything along this
line?

Am I walking a thin line discussing the rise of Nazi culture?

Are there any good resources anyone might know of?

Are there other collections of these types of materials in other museums out
there?

Is it politicially objectible to show toys that are indictive of the Nazi
period when they are so acurate?

HOw much of a discussion of Nazi culture is okay - I do not want to sound like
I am promoting it.  I am steering clear of the post 1938 period for this
reseason.

I would appreciate any and all comments that anyone might have.

thank you for your time and input

Greg Hansel