From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Nov 1999 22:53:40 -0800
Uh-oh.  Looks like I've some potential insight to
offer here.  Time to pop up again.

I may have told you heretofore that I'm taking a very
good grant writing course at UCLA.  This gives me a
teensy modicum of perspective to offer in this
development conundrum.

According to our prof, a venerable grants professional
of many years, funders are generally reticent to fund
salaries.  They don't want to be responsible for
someone being out of a job at the end of that funding
cycle.  They may fund someone for a specific program,
but they will not fund someone ad infinitum.

Therein may lie the rub.  Unless you've
programs/projects ongoing to which your salaries can
be tied, it would seem implausible to get the money to
pay the salaries, and don't forget to add in the
incremental cost of taxes and benefits which also must
be accounted for.

Unless there's a museum sugar daddy out there who
wants to really fund jobs (there may be, but I've just
begun to look), chances are the equation will not be
equal.

--- Jeannine Finton <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Troy raises a good point about the paradox of
> museums needing bodies while
> museum grads need jobs but the two needs remain
> unmet due to lack of funds.
> Why can't curators and educators make the case for
> hiring people? The oldest
> reason, still going strong, is that museums are
> chronically short of money.

=====
Indigo Nights