From:
Daan van Dartel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 2004 11:34:54 +0200
I think these problems with object names will never be solved, there are
just too many words, synonyms and specific objects. More important is
that all museum workers describing objects use the same term for the
same object, after all it is accessibility of the system which should be
aimed at, for researchers, visitors and other people using the system.
It is this consistency that we aim at in our museum. We discuss new
terms in meetings (we 'make up' our own object names for now, later they
will be 'thesaurised'), and our system manager (we use TMS)can discuss
them in her meetings with other similar (i.e. ethnographical) museums,
this way taking care of standardising terms.

Daan van Dartel