From:
Robyne Miles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 09:31:36 -0700
I think people have hit upon obstacles very well.

As a graduate of Indiana, I can tell you what I think worked for them.  The
IU Art Museum is an amazing building designed by I.M. Pei.  The design alone
made students want to check it out.  Secondly, it is centered in a major
thoroughfare with front and back doors, so students were constantly cutting
through it, especially on freezing winter days!  To add to that, there was a
wonderful coffee stand in the atrium that provided a great place for
studying or meeting between classes.  They of course had many special events
and programs to draw people in as well.

In thinking on all that, I'd say poor planning and lack of University
support are huge obstacles.  Indiana planned well and designed a space that
would naturally draw people in, and once students came in to avoid the
elements or get some coffee, I know many of them explored the galleries as
well.  As I recall, the museum enjoys a great deal of faculty support; many
teachers assign projects involving the museum.

I no longer remember the attendance figures from my days interning there,
but I do remember that the museum was rarely empty when class was in
session.

Robyne
--
PLEASE NOTE:  MY NEW EMAIL ADDRESS IS [log in to unmask]