From:
Eugene Dillenburg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 08:54:06 -0400
Jay -- most excellent post!

Kris, Dave and others -- I am skeptical about the role pots play in the
establishment of democracy.  It is my understanding that the US
Constitution predates both Peale and Barnum.

It is my understanding that Babylon, Sumer, Ur, etc. were authoriarian
states, and probably not models we wish to follow.  (Hussein had his name
carved next to Nebuchadnezzar's at the hanging gardens.  Historical
artifacts may be used; they may also be misused.)

It is my understanding that the Arab peoples who now inhabit the Middle
East do not see the ancient peoples as their ancestors, genetic or
cultural, and that they are not entirely mistaken in this belief.

To All -- it's all about context.  If the only news coming out of Iraq last
week was that priceless antiquities had been stolen and/or destroyed, then
I would be right in line, writing treatsies as eloquent (in my own way) as
Dave's or Kristen's on the value, the worth, yes even the importance of
objects.

But that was not the only news last week.  There were the casualties,
civilian and military.  There were the injured lying in hospitals, and the
hospitals being looted.  There were the prisons and the torture chambers
being opened -- just in time for some, too late for others.  There was the
lack of food, water, electricity.  There were the murderous thugs who ran
the regime disappearing, and then slowly, one by one, being captured as
they tried to flee.

The loss of the priceless antiquities is a terrible blow, not only to the
Iraqi people but to all of humanity.  But a tragedy?  No.  Not in this
context.  Until these other, real tragedies are remedied, until this poor
battered country is made whole, I will not shed one single tear for a
broken pot.  Mine are all reserved for the broken people.

Thank you.  We now return you to your regularly scheduled list-serve.

-- Eugene Dillenburg