From:
Laurie Austin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 2004 09:38:29 -0400
After September 11, 2001, the trustees of the Stephen Phillips Trust House decided to make our house museum free of charge.  It continues to be, and 2002 saw an increase of visitation of 150%.  2003 was down from 2002 about 18%, but 2004 is up from last year about 28% and right on par with our best year ever, which was 2002.  Certainly other factors are contributing to an increase in attendance (more personnel, which means more time for marketing; the re-opening of the Peabody Essex Museum, which has probably brought more visitors to Salem to begin with, etc.), but free admission seems to have been a big draw.

If you really would like to do a case study, please contact me directly.

Best,
Laurie Austin
Site Manager
Stephen Phillips Trust House