From:
Toniann Scime <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 2004 14:15:24 -0400
I don't think you'll encounter any problems regarding the use of an in-house
accessioning system and the call#; PastPerfect provides distinction for
both.

We're a similar institution, using Past Perfect for our Museum collection as
well. However, we do not use the Library component for our reference library
because PastPerfect is not Z39.50 compliant, and though our materials do not
circulate, either, we take part in a virtual union catalog of area
libraries. I would have much preferred to merely use PP (much cheaper) for
collections *and* library materials, but instead had to purchased a separate
OPAC (we went with Follett) for compliancy. Donated books with museum
accession numbers simply go in both catalogs.

If you're not concerned with Z39.50, I think PastPerfect's Library component
is going to work just fine, but make sure you won't need the capability
later.

Toniann Scime
Librarian, Amherst Museum
3755 Tonawanda Creek Road