From:
Erin Quinn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2001 14:33:26 -0600
Indigo:

A good article from the experts on humidifying paper based materials, although extra extra caution must be taken with photographs because of the emulsion.  The article points that out.

http://www.nedcc.org/plam3/tleaf64.htm

From the Library of Congress website:
http://lcweb.loc.gov/preserv/presfaq.html

How can I get rid of the smell of mildew in my books?

The smell comes from biological growth on books that are stored in damp, dark, cool locations. Check for active or dormant mold. Remove the materials to a drier (but still cool) environment, and make sure that plenty of air is circulating around them. These conditions should render the biological growth dormant. If the mildewed materials are stored for an extended period under such coonditions, the smell will eventually disappear of its own accord. The same technique can be applied to dry books affected with active mold. If you can see mold growth, DO NOT attempt to clean it off under the materials are thoroughly dry. Premature clearning attempts will grind the mold into the covers or paper and cause stains that are often impossible to remove.
A short exposure to sunlight and circulating air outdoors also may help to rid the books of the mildew smell. Remember, though, that light damages paper-based materials. Drying materials in the sunlight may result in some darkening or fading of book materials and paper, so select this approach only with materials for which such damage is considered acceptable.

Hope this helps.  I love finding this stuff out. :)

Erin

Erin Quinn
Collections Coordinator
City of Greeley Museums
919 7th Street
Greeley, CO 80631
(970) 350-9218

>>> [log in to unmask] 09/25/01 01:56PM >>>
Hi, Gang.  As the girlfriend of an auto racing fan,
I've managed to sign up for a discussion group on
Racing History (I mean, isn't that what good
girlfriends do?  Have to learn about his hobbies to
score points.  LOL).

In any event, one of the gentlemen there has the
following questions, and I KNOW you guys are the
experts on this.

What suggestions do you have that I can take back to
him/them.

Many thanks!

I was just loaned a very large collection of 3X5 black
and white racing photos from here in Southern
California that are about 45 years old. The photos
were stored in a box all these decades and are curled
up to a point that the center area is the only part of
the photo that is flat.

Does anyone have any ideas for un-curling photos,
other than placing them under an heavy object, and
also, how to remove 45 years of odors?

=====
Indigo Nights