From:
Lea Foster Warden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 2006 13:32:13 -0400
Hello,

As my experience with loans is isolated to one museum I am wondering what
the consensus is within the profession about sharing condition reports with
lenders.  Would the validity of a condition report be questioned if a claim
arose and both parties did not have a time dated condition report?

It has always been my understanding that a copy of the report is sent to the
lender creating a time dated recorded, which acknowledges and forms an
agreement on noted condition issues. Eighty-five percent of the time our
museum does not receive a condition report from the lender. Also we often
rely on private lenders who are unfamiliar with museum procedures and
terminology.

Recently the question was raised as to whether or not a copy of condition
report needs to be sent to the lender. We have had instances where lenders
were taken aback by reports that list cracks, marks, or loose joints, etc.
We've thought about creating a information sheet to send with reports that
explains why the document was created and explain related terminology.

What is the standard proceedure?  How detailed should the report be?

Thanks,
Lea Warden
Collections Manager