From:
Paul Messier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 1996 11:33:11 -0800
Mr. Hart:

As an art conservator, I appreciate your recent post to Museum-l.  I
agree that the profession of conservation needs to expand its outreach
activities.  Our national orgainization, the American Institute for
Conservation, recognizes outreach as a priority and has taken some
small, preliminary steps to expand the public's awareness of the
profession of conservation.  They have some general brochures designed
for this purpose and offer them free of charge ([log in to unmask]).

Working in private practice, I spend a great deal of time trying to
persuade individual collectors that many of the preservation principles
used by large institutions are inexpensive and available to the private
collector.  Though private collectors have a context for single item
restoration and conservation projects (such projects can be very
costly), they do not realize that there are simple, preventive measures
that serve an entire collection at a very modest per item cost.
Gradually, some of the literature on preventative conservation is
becoming available to a broader audience via the internet through,
amoung others, the National Archives (http://www.nara.gov) and the
Conservation Online WWW site (http://palimpsest.stanford.edu), though
there is still a long way to go.

Within the context of fostering a broader understanding of the field of
conservation, please feel free to contact me with any specific
collections care questions that you or your associates might have. I
wish you much success with your small museum.

Paul Messier
Conservator of Photographs & Works on Paper
Boston Art Conservation
tel. 617 738 7072
fax 617 738 8841
email [log in to unmask]