From:
Jeanette Sanchez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Oct 1996 12:58:18 -0400
Hello, I am Jeanette Sanchez, an Administrator, from the Museum of Natural
History and Science in Albuquerque, New Mexico.  I am passing on your
questions to David Baccadutre, Chief of Exhibits and Michal Sanchez,
Naturalist Center Supervisor.

As part of the Volcano exhibit at our Museum we have used heat and smell of
smoke at the entrance to the exhibit.  The exit portion of this exhibit is
devoted to lava's interaction with water, so it is much cooler and damper
due to the use of vaporizers/misters in this area.  David B. might be a good
source of information for you.  He can be reached at 505-841-2862.

In the Naturalist Center (a hands-on center) Michael Sanchez puts different
smells in discovery boxes and asks visitors to guess what the smell is.  I
don't know if this will help, but Michael can be reached at 505-841-2853.

I hope these two folks will be helpful to you.

Good luck.

Jeanette Sanchez

>According to Jeff Northam:
>>
>> I have been asked to present information on the use of smells and scents in
>> museum exhibitions later this month. In order to give a well rounded
>> perspective,I would like to solicit information from other museum-l
>> subscribers as to their experiences or opinions in the use of scents.
>>
>> Do you know of examples of institutions that have used scents in
>> interesting and innovative ways? How were scents used? Were they effective
>> enhancements? Were there any problems or downsides in the use of scents
>> such as maintaining proper levels of intensity, controlling dispersion or
>> negative responses such as sensitivity or allergic reactions?
>>
>> Any input would be greatly appreciated. You may respond to me off list or
>> on if the subject is of interest to others. Thank you.
>>
>> Jeff Northam
>> Pouncing Pachyderm Productions
>> e-mail: [log in to unmask]
>>

>As one who is allergic to all of those scents, I vote "no" to
>all added scents.
>
>--
>Robin Gabriel
>Director of Education
>Monticello, The Home of Thomas Jefferson
>P.O. Box 316
>Charlottesville, VA 22902
>(804) 984-9854       E-mail: [log in to unmask]
>Monticello URL: http://www.monticello.org

Jeanette Sanchez
New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science
(505) 841-2847