From:
Lucy Skjelstad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 19:29:01 -0800
Hannah,  if you can, hunt up a copy of the first edition of Nomenclature
(1978). The first two chapters (about 17pp) had a marvelous explanation
of the rationale of the system and how to use the logic for the
systematic naming of man-made objects.  For some reason most of that was
left out of the Second edition, which, in my opinion made the second
edition more difficult for new users.  The move was, I believe, intended
to simplify, but it created limitations that many find frustrating.

If you don't find it, there are important keys to understanding:

One is to remember is that it isn't a 'cataloguing system' as many call
it. It's a systematic way of naming things akin to the systematics used
for naming things in the natural world.

Second, the object names are based on the original intended use of the
object.

For those who really understand the logic and practice enough to be
skilled at using it, Nomenclature is a fabulous tool.  For those who
expect it to do things it was never designed to do, it can be a
disappointment.

Actually, if you can't find a first edition, let me know and I'll try to
copy the pages and send them to you.

Lucy Skjelstad