From:
Jim Angus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Sep 1996 09:17:26 -0700
My understanding of the term "Intranet" is that it is a 'local' IP network
serving a single organization.  In other words, it is a collection of
applications that are generally associated with the Internet which are
being used to serve information at a more local level.  For example, one
might have a 'local' website to serve information to staff.  Access to the
site can be restricted to those within the same 'domain' or to those with
the appropriate userid and password (we use the second technique).

You also ask what should be the criteria of a good museum website.
Different organizations have different views as to what their website
should be.  The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County (my home) sees
the Internet as a way to serve a wider audience.  I feel that a website
needs an 'infrastructure' which allows it to grow.  I expect the
information content in our website to increase 5 fold in the next year, and
the site has to be organized so that people can easily find the information
that they're looking for.

Jim

>Spectra (the quarterly publication of the Museum Computer Network) has a
>regular column called HELP?!   In each issue there are anonymously asked
>questions from members.  I post those questions here as each new issue
>comes out and if you would care to share your opinions or expertise, your
>name and institutional affiliation, email address, etc., will be published
>with your answer in order to encourage further private communication.
>Thanks in advance for your help!
>
>1.  I'm beginning to hear this new word, intranet, I think it may not be a
>spelling error.  Can someone please enlighten me on what it is and if it
>can be used to answer any museum specific needs?
>
>2.  What should be the criteria for a good museum WWW site?
>

>Suzanne Quigley
>Spectra Editor, MCN Board Member
>email: [log in to unmask]

Jim Angus
Internet and Hypermedia Programs
900 Exposition Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA  90007

http://www.nhm.org/nhm

voice:  213/744-3317
fax:    213/746-2999
eMail:  [log in to unmask] = [log in to unmask]