Date:
Sun, 9 Nov 1997 16:20:02 -0800
Leah Schroder wrote:

> Does anyone here have any experience working on programs for/with mentally
> challenged museum visitors? I am interested in researching the development of
> these programs and was wondering if anyone had some insite they could give
> me.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Leah

When I was at the Denver Art Museum I worked with Gretchen DeScoise and
a representative from the docent council to develop a tour as well as
identify and give additional training to docents who wanted to tour
mentally challenged visitors.  We initially met with and hosted
workshops with representatives from that community, got the word out via
flyers and contacts that the museum was able to offer a limited number
of tours and did do tours while I was there.  Gretchen may still have
the program going or at least some written information that I since
moving to the Bay area did not keep.

One of the main things we stressed in talking to the docents and during
the workshops was that there weren't and "stupid questions" or
"inapporiate feelings around being apprehensive" we said this was new to
most of us and we wanted the visitors, docents and staff to grow and
have a good experience, even with the tours that didn't go so well (of
which there weren't many).-Daphne Holmes