From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 2006 07:36:13 -0700
Daniel,

The word "cleaning" can mean vastly different things to different
people. Usually with historic metals most people think that that means
polishing metals bright and shiny - to those of us in conservation it
does not.

I would offer a warning about polishing an historic object, especially
an art nouveau lamp, as you may be removing both the natural oxidation
(which is valued as a sign of age and authenticity) and the original
applied patina - in this period it was very popular to use chemicals
and also toned lacquers to produce a huge variety of color and toning
effects on metals - especially copper alloys. And it is very easy to
polish through this historic layer and ruin it.

In recently years I have conserved more than 50 art nouveau and
craftsman lighting devices and fixtures and have found those
treatments to invariably be more complex and involved than just
"cleaning".

The other thing to be mindful of are the other materials in the lamp.
You mentioned a marble base. Usually a conservator will disassemble an
object like this to seperate the components so they can be treated
individually and thoroughly.

The issue isn't what the latest findings in conservation are as much
as in the specifics of the compostion and condition of the individual
lamp and how it is to be stored / exhibitied.

I would not recommend anything other than a gentle vacuuaming to
remove dust (using a soft natural bristle brush and brushing the dust
into the nozzle) until this lamp can be examined by an experienced
conservator.

I always point out the Antiques Roadshow segments where the poor lady
with the cherry highboy that her husband refinished, or the lady with
the Tiffany lamp that was polished, hears the news at how much the
value declined from their previous "cleanings".

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Conservator