From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Nov 1998 11:24:46 -0800
---Jane McKee <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> How about getting a second job?

While there is much merit, and often some internal value, to getting a
second job--and I say this as one who has worked two jobs (one
full-time, one part-time, intermittently) for the last year--the
reasons I would have against this are the same ones that have haunted
me since posting yesterday about the low-end spectrum of the job post
in question.

A salary in the low $20s in the LA area could be lived on by a single
person, though it nowhere matches the value of the education it took
to get hired.  Two jobs can be worked by a single person.

But what of someone with a family?  A single mother raising children
who will need child care and all the other necessities could barely
make it in that capacity, and to assume a job is the end all in life
is  unrealistic.

I worked two jobs and went to school before having kids.  I worked two
jobs after finishing school once the kids were raised.

But raising children requires time, and they should not be sacrificed
for a low salary.  It just doesn't seem equitable.

If we put value in a college education and preach that one will not
succeed without one, if we push people to get the best grades possible
in order to be able to compete, why should that job not pay something
of fair-market value based on the economy of scale for that area?

Oh, I realize there are two scales of thought.  The ones that say you
sacrifice everything including family to have a career, and those who
say a career is there to help you and your family.

I'm of the latter.

Gayle Montgomery
Southern California
==