From:
Dora Chiu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Oct 1998 11:33:08 PDT
Dear Sara,

art, in my experience working in different museums, has been Casual
Interpretation.  It really isn't teaching art history- "teaching"
assumes that the visitor to a museum has an inferior knowledge of art
than the facilitator.  When in fact every person understands art just by
using their senses.  "Teaching art history" assumes that art history is
worth teaching.  I think a lot of museums today like Casual
Interpretation because it's based on the visitor's experience of art.
It is conversations, impressions, impulses, reactions to art and not a
tour or lecture that dictates to the visitor what THE ARTWORLD is or
what ART HISTORY is.  Research shows that visitor's are more likely to
remember memorable experiences of interaction with people, particular
conversations and perhaps some minute pieces of information in passing-
but art historical facts and figures don't stick.   One of the reasons
why museums aren't that popular is because they stick to "teaching art
history".

I have worked mainly with children but I have also seen this learning
theory and practice on      s.  Casual Interpretation makes for more
memorable experiences because visitors are allowed to interact with a
person- not an art historian who "knows it all".  While traditional
means of looking at art through form, content or context are not
necessarily discussed in detail, sometimes these are touched upon as any
curious visitor having a conversation with a facilitator who is good at
Casual Interpretation would ask.  Really experiences around art are not
necessarily about art history now in museums, it's about helping the
visitor access the art experience, perhaps as a aesthetic experience.

So, if you are interested in knowing how museums who emphasize education
talk about art, it's not a question about "teaching art history" it's a
question of "how do museum educators help visitors access the art
experience".

Dora Chiu