From:
Nancy Scheer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jun 1998 18:49:52 -0400
As an Administrative Assistant in art galleries for 4 years, the experience I have gained is enormous (at a gallery level). With a BFA in Fine Arts, and the work experience, getting considered for any administrative position within a museum or arts organization has been close to  impossible! I live in Phoenix, AZ, and I am able to relocate anywhere, with the desire for a bigger, more ecclectic city (LA, San Francisco, Seattle, NYC, DC), yet I am getting nowhere as far as responses to resumes I have sent out.

Anyone have contacts in these settings that I could contact, or have suggestions for improving my chances in getting involved in such a work environment?

Another issue: salaries. As an administraitve assistant (in art galleries), the salary history is beans compared to the salaries posted for museum jobs (especially), and I feel I am deserving of them, although when asked of my salary history, they feel I should get what I've been getting, instead of what is being offered. Seems unfair...so what is a girl to do?

Any suggestions, comments or information would be greatly appreciated!

Nancy Scheer