Date:
Thu, 5 Dec 1996 04:24:29 GMT
On the plus side, you may end up saving an object that might otherwise
disappear forever from public access.  There's probably a lot of good p.r.
in such a collaboration as well.  I'm sure there are more positive
aspects, but in my experience there are MANY minuses to jointly sharing an
object.

One of the biggest minuses is that such an arrangement can be a
contractual nightmare.  The object ends up being treated like a perpetual
loan--which is a legal and managerial problem in and of itself.  What if
you want to include it in a traveling exhibition, for example, but can't
because the other institution won't agree to this?  Even if the other
institution is responsible now, situations (and boards and policies and
staff) may change, and a joint ownership agreement may force you to
relinquish the object to an organization that won't care for it properly.
To make your life a lot easier--and to avoid future legal action--you
should have all possible situations and solutions outlined in your
ownership agreements.

I've encountered some similar situations (as in a collection that was
deeded to the museum with a restriction that another institution had the
right to borrow the objects for 6 months each year).  I would have argued
against taking the collection with such a restriction attached had I been
working for the museum at that time.  So far, though, the arrangement has
worked out well.  I can't help thinking that there's bound to be a serious
problem that will appear sometime down the road...

Melanie Solomon