From:
Martin Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Nov 2001 14:51:40 -0500
>After all of this discussion about how science is completely separate
>from religion I think some thing have been neglected.
>
>1. Someone referred to one of the early fathers of medicine-he was
>not separated from his religion. Think about all the great names of
>science that have been intensely involved in their religion. Newton,
>Hippocrates, Galileo.

Absolutely correct. But often in those days science was in service of
religion and often went counter to religious beliefs and orthodoxy.
eg. Galileo.

>2. I think the issue is whether science can be completely unbiased.
>Since everything a human does is affected by the constructs in his
>life then nothing can be completely unbiased.

I ma not certain what your point is. Of course, we are human and are
biased. However, what we try, and try very hard to do is control for
bias. Clearly, scientists who are uncomfortable doing work on
therapeutic cloning or evolution will not perform the experiments. It
is interesting that the head of the NIH program on the human genome,
Francis Collins is a very religious man as are many scientists.

My point was that science museums I think have an obligation to
present science behind advances that interest and affect of visitors.
And how to do that in in controversial areas is an area of discussion
that can be fruitful.

Cheers,

Martin

--