From:
ReidArden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 1998 04:09:41 GMT
??>How important is the Visitor???

Greetings everyone,
I am not a museum worker but rather one of the visitors...(The FAQ of this list
offers inclusion to anyone interested in museums or the study thereof.)

For years I've been aware of the attitude that is projected to the public about
museums being for the professionals and their clubs.
This is why a lot of my friends don't go to museums.
!!!! Please listen and Understand!!!! We are the people who pay entrance fees
and membership fees. We are the ones who can offset a small ad budget with a
lot of word of mouth advertising.
If we stop coming you won't have jobs anymore.....

No you don't have to make it MTV. Just make it inviting. Let me know that I and
my opinion are welcome, even without donating a billion or two.
I've done a lot of informal polling of co-workers, friends, etc and have found
that most people who don't go to museums don't go because they feel
uncomfortable, stupid, or poor. Where do these perceptions come from?

Please understand that my desire is to see fine art and historical institutions
flourish for many years to come. But it won't come from alienating all but the
wine-and-cheese crowd. Yes have high level fund raisers, but also have plenty
of accessibility for all patrons.

I hope this helps and is received as intended.
Reid