From:
Stacy Klingler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jul 2005 07:25:07 -0500
As a newly opened small county museum, we have objects dropped off
everyday, often with volunteers who should not make a determination
about what the Museum should keep.  We began by giving everyone a
Temporary Custody Receipt which clearly indicates that the objects
are unconditional donations and signed by the donor.  However, our
backlog means that the Deed of Gifts may not have gone out until 3-6
months after the gift arrived and we have problems with returns.

One of my volunteers suggested that we have the donors sign the Deed
of Gift (but not a museum staff member) whenever somebody drops off
the object to solve the return problem.  We would then send the Deed,
signed by us, only when we accept the object.  From the requirements
described by Janice Klein, it sounds like as long as the Museum does
not acknowledge the gift by signing the Deed, the intent to accept is
not legally binding.  My argument to her was that if we decide not to
accept the item, people will be surprised and hurt if we call them to
take their objects back.  I suggested that it was a matter of
reputation and the impression we give to donors.  Are there any other
arguments I should be making?

Stacy Klingler
Putnam County Museum