From:
John Chiodo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jan 1995 21:10:04 -0500
John,

I was going to send this posting to the list at large but first I thought I'd
send it to you.  I think you have done us a great service by providing this
list.  What are your thoughts about how quickly its growing:

To Museum-L

I would like to forward a concern.  While I feel that it is imperative that
we communicate with each other, some of us can't handle the growing number of
postings per day.   Can't we break this list down into special interest
groups and a general fyi list?

I have heard many times over of colleagues canceling their subscription
because they can't manage the quantity of mail and it appears that we are
only talking about 1000 or so subscribers at this time.  I have also heard of
others planning to abandon this list and start their own with regard to their
particular interests.

On the other hand, if this list doubles in size we could each be sorting
through 280 postings per week on this list alone!

This is not a criticism of the way this service has been managed, in fact I
think they are doing a darn good job.  However, it seems that if we want a
forum that is truly representative of the size and scope of our museum
community we are then going to need a service that can handle at least ten
times our current membership, in a manner that is reasonably convenient to
use.   BBS's do this by having heirarchical menus narrowing to more and more
specific subjects.  Would that work here?

Does anybody else sense that to reach the full potential of this list we need
it to evolve to accomodate a large and varied membership.

I am interested in what others think about this.

John Chiodo
Independent
Sausalito, CA