From:
Jim Angus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Mar 1996 16:30:15 -0800
This is a repeat of my previous post.  I've given the message a different
subject line because I wanted to initiate a discussion of these results
with a larger group.  The subject line of my first posting was not well
thought out.

I have done a quick survey to determine how often a particular web site is
referenced in another web site's pages.  This may provide an indication of
how well known a web site is.  I have limited my survey to U.S. Natural
History Museums of which I am aware.

The UC Berkeley Museum of Paleontology's website is by far the best known
NH website in the United States. I feel that they have some of the best
content, but this doesn't explain the sites phenomenal popularity on the
web.  I would like to get everyone's thoughts on what this particular
museum has done which has lead to its obvious success.  I would especially
like to hear from the team that put the page together.  (in other words, I
want to know the secret of their success)

Jim

Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
http://www.acnatsci.org
329

American Museum of Natural History
http://www.amnh.org
70

Bishop Museum
www.bishop.hawaii.org
545

Carnegie Museum of Natural History
trfn.pgh.pa.us/Carnegie/CMNH/home.html
29

Centennial Museum
www.utep.edu/~museum/home.html
1

Chicago Academy of Sciences
www.chias.org/
139

Chula Vista Nature Center
sdcc12.ucsd.edu/~wa12/cvnature.html
27

City of Santa Cruz Museum of Natural History
www.cruzio.com/~scva/nathist.html
47

Cleveland Museum of Natural History
www.zdepth.com/zcleve/cmnh.html
21

Exhibit Museum of Natural History
www.exhibits.lsa.umich.edu
65

Fernbank Museum of Natural History
stlbbg.gtri.gatech.edu/
93

Field Museum
www.bvis.uic.edu/museum
3375

Florida Museum of Natural History
www.flmnh.ufl.edu/
428

Harvard University Museum of Natural History
www.ai.mit.edu/projects/iiip/Cambridge/mapsites/tharvard.html
9

Houston Museum of Natural Science
chico.rice.edu/armadillo/hmns/museum_home.html
96

Illinois State Museum
www.museum.state.il.us
633

Museum of Natural History and Cormack Planetarium
ids.net/~cormack_pl/museum.html
120

Museum of Natural History, U of Georgia
gis.lislab.uga.edu/natmus
21

Museum of NH, U of Oregon
oregon.uoregon.edu/~mnh/
66

Museum of Paleontology, UC Berkeley
ucmp1.berkeley.edu/
17882

Natural History Museum, Humbolt State University
www.northcoast.com/unlimited/cultural_center/nathist_mus/nat_mus.html
4

www.lam.mus.ca.us and www.usc.edu/lacmnh
576

Natural History Museum of Southern Utah
www.suu.edu/Museums_Galleries/museum.html

New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science
www.aps.edu/HTMLPages/NMMNH.html
384

Peabody Museum
www.star.net/salem/pem/
180

Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History
www.rain.org/~inverts/
318

Smithsonian Museum, Museum of NH
nmnhwww.si.edu/nmnhweb.html
1277

Virginia Tech Museum of NH
www.bev.net/education/museum/
140

Natural History Museum, London
www.nhm.ac.uk
3181

Jim Angus
Information Technology and Hypermedia Programs
900 Exposition Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA  90007

voice:  213/744-3317
fax:    213/746-2999