From:
James Appleyard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 15:15:11 -0000
If you can get hold of them these studies on entrance prices are very
useful.

Davis. S. (1994) By Popular Demand, London:Museums and Galleries Commission

Museums and Galleries Commission (1998) To Charge or Not to Charge?,
Glasgow:Glasgow University Press.

I have also done my own research on the subject.

My dissertation for my MA in Heritage Management was an investigation of the
impact on demand of introducing entrance charges within museums in England.
I analysed the visitor figures of a number of museums and questioned the
managers of the institutions. My study supported the assertion of the
Museums and Galleries Commission that that visitor figures can drop by upto
50% as a result of charging. Those that then removed the charge saw their
visitor figures return to almost their pre charging levels.

More generally,  a drop in visitor figures initially does not mean a drop in
revenue, or indirect spending, and there is still some scope for using
entrance charges. While there may be an initial drop, there is also alot of
potential for recovery. Charging fails mostly within museums that haven't
planned the charging policy properly, done adequate research, or are forced
to introduce charges too quickly by over eager local authorities. The
museums that are successful at charging are the ones that justify having the
price and offer value for money such as offering new exhibits, increasing
interactivity. Or simply even justify why the money is needed such as for
preservation. If the visitors can be convinced that they are doing a good
deed, or that they are getting something for their cash they will pay, they
do in other leisure attractions. What they object to is being fleeced, or
paying for no reason. People object to having to pay for something they
could see last week for free, but give them something new and clearly show
them that is what they are paying for and they are more than likely to be
happy to do it. It isn't easy to pull off, but it has worked with the
Museums on Merseyside, and others. Charging can work but it can't be rushed
into. Too many museums in Britain have got into lots of trouble by rushing
into charging or being forced into it because they were desperately in need
of extra revenue.

Entrance fees cannot be seen as a "quick fix" to solve revenue problems,
such a strategy can create more problems than it solves and seriously damage
a museums reputation among the visiting public.

Charging though shouldn't be dissmissed out of hand. There is some potential
for it to work as part of a long term development plan with the right
research and commitment. It won't work for all museums, but it might for
some.

James Appleyard MA
Director, Lehigh and Sagamore: A Business and Technical Services Writing
Company
and freelance writer covering museums archaeology, and British history.
(My MA is Heritage Management, but tired of fighting for too few jobs, with
too few people appreciating the skills I had to offer, I decided to put them
to a more self indulgent use and started my own writing business. However,
if anyone hears of anything becoming available let me know..:)..)