From:
Timothy McShane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 May 2003 09:37:30 -0600
I've moved three times to take a museum job, and had a different
experience each time:

Once was to take a non-union internship with a large federal
institution.  I was just out of school, so I packed up all I had into my
car and drove myself out.  I was paid a per kilometre travel rate, plus
a meal allowance and per diem.  I didn't require a moving service or
accommodation through the move; I don't know if that would have been
paid for by the employer or not.

Next was a move to another non-union position, this time in a small
non-government museum.  They were not in a position to offer anything by
way of reimbursement or paid moving expenses, so I received nothing from
them.

Most recently was to a union position with a municipal museum, where
most of my relocation expenses (moving van rental, fuel, accommodation,
meals, etc.) were paid by the city.

I don't know where you are located, but in Canada, for any move that
gets you at least 40 kilometres closer to your place of employment you
are able to claim moving expenses not covered by the employer on your
taxes.  The amount comes dollar-for-dollar off your taxable income.
Without this tax break, I probably would not have been able to afford
the second move.

Tim McShane, Assistant--Cultural History
Medicine Hat Museum and Art Gallery
1302 Bomford Crescent S.W.
Medicine Hat, AB   T1A 5E6
(403) 502-8587

>>> [log in to unmask] 05/13/03 09:25PM >>>
Could those of you out there who have relocated for a professional
museum
position share with me your experiences when you did OR when you did
not
receive reimbursement for relocation expenses.  Feel free to write to
me
off list if you prefer to not share this information widely.  Many
thanks.

The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
read "help" (without the quotes).

Disclaimer: The information transmitted is intended only for the
addressee and may contain confidential, proprietary and/or privileged
material.  Any unauthorized review, distribution or other use of or
the taking of any action in reliance upon this information is
prohibited.  If you received this in error, please contact the sender
and delete or destroy this message and any copies.