From:
Polly Cegielski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Aug 1998 09:07:49 -0400
Go David, go David!!

Why is it the director's with low pay expect the rest of the musuem workers to accept their low wages?   Justifying someone else's poverty wages with your own does not alleviate the problem, it adds to it.  If we settle for the old adage of  'It doesn't pay much but I love what I do' we add to the mentality that what
we do isn't worth much. Take any one of the trade's, carpentry, metal working, plumbing is a great example.  Plumbers can make anywhere from $100-$400 an hour.  Does their work have more intrinsic value than a museum worker? (any plumbers out there, please don't hate me, I'm just using you for an example) Do they have
to spend thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours at college?  No, they are just organized and they believe in the value of their work.  They are willing to extend the extra effort of unionizing, which may not always be the best choice but it is one that insures that they will be able to support their families.
Museum employees, with the scarcity of available jobs and the seeming overabundance of workers, have allowed museums to raise the standards of job requirements without adding any pay increase.  Is it that we are so happy to find a job in our field of study that we are willing to take any pittance for it? Possibly.
Instead of replying that we all have
'crappy pay', maybe looking at ways to change the standards would be more productive.  We need to create camaraderie not draw battlelines among ourselves.