From:
Julia Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Dec 2007 17:46:04 -0500
For the changing art areas of the New Indianapolis Airport, the flooring
will be epoxy terrazzo.  This may be cost-prohibitive in a regular
museum, plus it does get a bit hard on the ankles if there is too much
of it.  Otherwise it is very durable and very easy to maintain.

At my previous museum job, the flooring was colored concrete in one set
of galleries, carpeting in another, and hardwood floor planks (fairly
narrow) in another.  The hardwood floor is difficult to maintain--hard
to disguise gouges and scuffs, time-consuming to remove paint spills,
and requires regular stripping and re-urethaning (about every 5 years)
plus periodic (about every 10 years) sanding/refinishing.  The carpeting
wears down (you can mitigate this by using super-tough commercial-grade
carpet and installing it in tiles instead of in big rolls) and of course
does not take paint spills well, although commercial-grade carpeting can
have a coating on the fibers that makes spills bead up rather than sink
in. I think we just had cheap carpeting, which has since been replaced
with upgraded carpet tiles. The colored concrete was excellent for the
reasons Stephen states below.  If you pick the color correctly (ours was
a deep reddish color somewhere between dark salmon and light redbrick)
and use a painted baseboard plus shoe molding it does not look raw at
all.

Julia Muney Moore
Public Art Administrator
Blackburn Architects, Indianapolis, IN