From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2007 09:49:43 -0700
The easiest way to understand light damage is to understand that
basically that all light will damage light sensitive media. That
damage is cumulative and irreversible and it is the light energy
(intensity) and duration of exposure (time) that lead to smaller or
greater light damage effects on collections.

Many people make the mistake of thinking that by eliminating the UV
component of light that you eliminate the damge. You do not. You
simply are removing or blocking the most damaging part of light, and
thus are slowing the speed at which the irreversible damage will take
place.

There are so many sensibile strategies in regards to this - from the
frequent rotation of light sensitive colllections on display, to lower
light levels, blocking or eliminating UV light, to using push buttons,
timers, or sensors to turn on and off lights only when the exhibits
are being viewed, and yes using the best light systems and sources. In
historic houses you can turn down the blinds and draw the cutains
during the high exposure times of the day, you can also make sure that
sensitive media isn't in front of a window getting blasted every day.

As Marc Williams can well attest, it isn't just silks and paintings
that get damaged, there are so many examples of historic furniture
that suffers incredible damage from light as well. (conservators are
funny about this, we love to show photos of these kind of collections
horrors!)

As a conservator I can't tell you just how common it is for us to turn
over an object, see  it's reverse side, and discover the vibrant
colors and finishes that were protected from the sun and light.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Conservator