From:
George Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 May 2005 09:15:10 -0700
Dry ice is pure carbon dioxide snow at a temperature of -109.3°F or
-78.5°C. It sublimates into the gaseous CO 2 state without passing
through the usual liquid phase like water.  CO 2 gas is invisible, and
the fog we see is water wapor from the air.

While it's true that dry ice fog will cause condensation on cold
surfaces, the water vapor fog that dry ice makes visible is not created
by the dry ice, but is simply precipitated from the air, by cooling the
 ambient air below the dew point creating tiny water droplets we call
fog. In a closed system the relative humidity will remain unchanged
once the fog clears and the precipitated water droplets (fog)
evaporate.

No need to worry about dry ice introducing additional humidity into the
Museum, but be aware of the condensate that forms as a result, both on
the collection and on the facility.

George Schwartz

--- "James F. Bebarski (Avitra)" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Dry ice is chemically one of the safest ways for producing fog.
> However dry ice fog is essentially water vapor so it will most likely
> raise your relative humidity temporarily. Also dry ice fog will have
> a tendency to create condensation on some surfaces depending on
> temperature differential. Cool marble floors can get quite wet
> (public safety). Factors that need to be taken under consideration
> include: how much fog, on a stage or public walking space, room and
> other surface temperature, room humidity, cross ventilation and
> collections sensitivity just to name a few. Feel free to call with
> questions.
>

> James F. Bebarski
> Avitra Exhibit Technologies
> 1567 S. Cora Street
> Des Plaines, Illinois 60018
> Main Office: 847-803-4832

> www.avitra.com/maz/
>
> Clink on this link (The Zooquarium Museum of History) to see a demo
> of Avitra’s new affordable and easy to use digital signage solution
> by online-kiosks.net.
>

> Aaron Beebe <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>

> Does anyone know anything about dry ice?
>
> We have an event in our main gallery space and the organizer would
> like to use a dry ice machine.  I have no aesthetic objections and
> theoretically it’s not an issue, but can anyone tell me if there is
> any risk to the collection from it?
>

> Thanks for the advice.
>

> Aaron
>
> ____________________________
>
> Aaron Beebe
>
> Curator,
>
> The Coney Island Museum
>
> www.coneyisland.com
>

> ========================================================= Important
> Subscriber Information:
> The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
> If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one line e-mail
> ========================================================= Important
> Subscriber Information:
> The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
> If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one line e-mail

> Important Subscriber Information:
>
> The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
>
> If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one line e-mail

George Schwartz
ConservArt - Master Frame Makers and Art Conservators
http://www.ConservArt.com
8177 Glades Road #16 - Boca Raton, FL 33434 U.S.A.
Tel:(561)482-7292 - Fax:(561)482-6787
mailto:[log in to unmask]

*** Tired of Spam? Checkout Email Defense!

http://www.lanechange.net/html/email_defense.shtml