From:
Chris Goodlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 14:33:49 GMT
Audra,

When including a donor or lender name in our text, I do not think we should
consider what is most convenient for us.  There are many people that donate
or loan an item because they know they will be recognized in the text when
that object is on display.  When done correctly, this credit line should
rarely disturb the flow of the exhibit text.

This year at the Derby Museum, the great grandchildren of a Derby winning
owner had a replica of the 1924 Kentucky Derby trophy made.  The original
was stolen in the 1930's and never recovered.  This family gave this trophy
to their father (the owner's grandson) this summer at the museum.  He was
overcome with emotion, thanking his children and the museum profusely for
this wonderful gift.  We are going to display this replica trophy in a
temporary exhibit, and we would be doing a great diservice to our visitors
if we didn't tell this story.

The stories of how a lender or donor decided to place their artifacts in our
custody are sometimes just as exciting as the story of the object itself.

Chris Goodlett
Curator of Collections
Kentucky Derby Museum