From:
Chuck Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 11:31:47 -0700
Dear Indigo, or Gayle,

Sorry to come so late to the party.

Thank you, and don't stop posting. I'm not looking for a job (today), and I
don't drink coffee (and I would never dilute my Coke with alcohol!), but I
find your contributions to the list to be thoughtful, pertinent, and
generally a treat to read. I delete the ones that don't apply to me, which
takes all of five seconds. I'd rather have the option of reading them than
not. If it weren't for you (and other listers) passing along museum-related
news stories, I'd miss most of them completely.

For me, this list is a window into the larger museum world, and exposes me
to ideas and practices far outside my own limited experience. I have no
idea which information will prove useful in the future, but it's been my
experience that much of what I thought was useless 20 years ago has turned
out to be valuable later on.

Sure, some people have more to offer than others, and some can post more
often. I appreciate seeing familiar names on the list. I'm relatively new
to the field, so I mostly lurk and learn, or post questions. I'm grateful
for the huge range of expertise that is instantly available and freely
given by list members. (To a guy who remembers the times when researching
my piddly questions would take dozens of phone calls and messages, or hours
in a library, having access to a couple of thousand experts who seem eager
to help is almost surreal!)

When I have more to offer, I hope I have the professionalism and integrity
that you display, and that I remember to give back to the community and
help newcomers to follow their dreams.

I'm also aware of some of the work you do on behalf of people with
disabilities, and now's as good a time as any to thank you for that, too.

Hope your health is improving, and good luck with your new job.

Chuck Stout